Smoking in social services institutions
1. Research questions
- What is the prevalence of tobacco smoking among the persons living in Mures County social services institutions?
- What is the level of addiction among these smokers?
- How many of the smokers in these institutions are interested in quitting smoking and willing to participate in organized cessation program?
- What are the main features and components of a feasible cessation program for smokers living in social services institutions?
- How many of the executives and social workers involved in the care of the institutionalized persons are willing to cooperate in order to implement a system-wide cessation program?
- How supportive toward a cessation program is the present policy and what changes would be necessary to make possible the application of a cessation program on a wide level?
- What are the costs of such an intervention?
- What are the available resources and what additional resources can be identified?]
2. Sampling strategy for data collection - defining the target group, respectively the total number of beneficiaries, institutionalized in social services in Mures County - geographic location of the target group - obtaining necessary approvals for, unfolding the studies, and health education program - development of the questionnaire for data collection - applying the questionnaire at each service - determining the number of smokers and non-smokers in the target group - develop, together with experts in the medical, psychological,social field, a medical education program specifically designed for this target group, consists of institutionalized persons, with varying degrees of disability, those marginalized - implementation of the educational program - with employees of institutions - for the target group - establishment of the medical, psychological measures, for beneficiaries, who showing compliance in quitting smoking - reapplying the initial questionnaire, to determine the effect of the educational program
3. Measurement – With questionnaire or interviews translated for review - establishing the dimension, of the active and passive smoking phenomenon, in social institutions from Mures County - implementation of a program of health education on quitting smoking, and reducing the number of active and passive smokers
4. Data collection strategy - defining the target group - 3 months - identify the geographic location of the target group - 2 weeks - obtaining necessary approvals - 3 months - completion questionnaire - 1 months - application questionnaire - 6 months - develop an educational program - 3 months - implementation of the educational program - 1 year - reapplication initial questionnaire - 6 moths
5. Intervention strategy - the timing of the interventions within each institution - determining target group who require intervention - sharing in groups of max 30 persons to run the educational program - implementation of measures and solutions specifically designed for specific of the, target group - implementation of specific methods on the target group
6. Data entry and data cleaning plans - the data is introduced, in two phases: first phase to 15 months after project start the second phase of 33 months from the project start - cleaning plans: first cleaning 17 months second cleaning 39 months
7. Analytical strategy
8. Plans for disseminating your research findings - institutionalized-smokers situation after applying the first questionnaire and processing of data collected - conducting a study on the effect of a psycho-medical, educational program, on social institutions active smokers - presentation of final data
Project director: Schmidt Lorand, MD
1. Ferencz IL, Finta H, Balint I, Schmidt L, Nadasan V, Abram Z. Smoking Habits of Children Institutionalized in Family Care Homes in Mures and Harghita County, Acta Medica Marisiensis, 2015;61(3):209-212.
2. Ferencz IL, Abram Z, Schmidt L, Balazs P, Foley KL. Tobacco use among children in Romanian foster care homes, European Journal of Public Health, 2016, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckw044 822-826 First published online: 15 April 2016.
3. Ferencz IL, Abram Z, Schmidt L, Balazs P, Foley KL. Exposure to secondhand smoke among foster care residents in Romania. Poster presentation, SRNT 2016 Annual meeting, Chicago,USA.
Last update: 27.10.2016.